Tuesday, January 31, 2012

If you know me at all, you know that I'm like an open book. I'm real! My family is not perfect, and neither am I, and I don't pretend to be.
So, as I mentioned in my last post, we were faced with some unexpected news when we got home from our little night away.       
I was upstairs working on my computer and Rusty was downstairs.  My 17 year old knocked on my door and asked to come in.  Her boyfriend was with her.  They stood at the end of my bed and acted like they wanted to ask me something or tell me something.  They hesitated.  She looked at him, then he said "Brooke's pregnant".  I laughed and said no she's not!  He said yes, she is.  I'm like yeah, right, you guys are joking!  What do you really want? 
He said Tammy, I'm serious! Brooke started crying!  Then I knew it was true!
I was in shock, but all I could do was get up and hug her.  I told her it would be ok.  She was more worried that we were going to hate her boyfriend than anything. 
They were scared to death!  Mostly scared of telling us!  They had bought a pregnancy test the night we were gone and it was positive.  Brooke wanted to wait, but he (Paul) wanted to do the right thing and make sure that she got to the Doctor and took care of her health.  Thank you Paul! :)
I asked if they wanted to have Rusty come up and tell him, but they were afraid to, so I broke it to him.  I have to tell you, he was sweating!  Are we mad?  No!  Concerned about her future? Yes!  She is still a Junior in high school. 
I told her that we want her to finish school, and that we will be here to support them as much as we can!   I don't believe in abortion, and of course, she's keeping it!  We wouldn't have it any other way, and neither would she!  Are they going to face some obstacles?  Of course!  The first one will be getting through school.
We went to the lab this morning to confirm, and set up an appt. for her first visit with a Dr. As of right now, the due date is Sept. 19th.  By the end of this school year, she will definitely be showing.  She told several friends today, and most were shocked, but supportive and congratulated  her.  Only one said she ruined her life and should get an abortion. 
So, even if she finishes this school year at public school, we are not sure how next year will work out.  I'd love for her to be able to graduate with her class.  I don't want her to have regrets and feel like she missed that.  However, she may have to miss too much school to be able to keep up. 
It's still all new, and though it's exciting, there is a lot to think about.  I'm prepared to help in any way I can, and will be here if she needs me to take care of the baby while she goes to school. 
They have talked of getting married in the future, but I told them that I didn't want them to feel like they had to now.  After all, this happened to me.  I wasn't as young, but I got pregnant, then married because it was "the right thing to do" and guess what?  It didn't work out so well.
This is not something we ever expected, but it has happened, and now all we can do is press on. We want to do as much as we can to help them be successful! 
Not one of us is perfect, we are stubborn, we sin, we mess up, but just as God has given us mercy and grace, we are showing that to our daughter.  Psalm 86:15 says, " But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness." NIV
I pray that others will show them compassion as well.  As Jesus said in John 8:7 "“If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.”

What are you struggling with?  If I can pray for you about something in particular, please feel free to email me.  I started this blog to inspire others, and I will pray for you, or give you my unprofessional opinion if you'd like.  :) 

Meanwhile, here is a picture of my beautiful daughter and her handsome boyfriend Paul.  Please keep them in your prayers. 



11 comments:

  1. Your an amazing, supportive mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! I just want to wrap my arms around her and hold her close. Protect her from harsh words that some may say, and from the pain of labor, and everything else that may come. My baby's gonna have a baby. She's growing up now, and I have to start looking at her as a Mommy and as a woman instead of just my little girl. Sad but exciting all at the same time.

      Delete
  2. she hasn't ruined her life it might just be on hold for awhile. it has happened to other girls and with the support of their families they have been able to still do great things in thier lives. i don't believe in abortion either. just hang in there and it will all work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grammama! I agree :)So thankful for your support! It means a lot!

      Delete
  3. Tammy, I'm sure everything will work out for everyone. Brooke is very lucky to have the wonderful Mom and Dad that she has. I know you will both be there for her and that is exactly what she needs right now. Best of luck to you all, I will be thinking of all of you. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I told Jen to tell ya...a year from now: YOU totally won't care! A grandbaby is the mostest specialest thing in the whole wide world. You have instant love with NO hormones and can play and love and then when he/she starts to fuss give 'em back!

    It's amazing the journey you are headed for...there will be lows so deep you can't imagine and highs so high you want to bust. Your daughter will grow up faster before your eyes than you are prepared for...but with your support the woman she will be can take your breathe away!

    I will be praying for yall. Our sweet angel is 5 months old this month. My daughter amazes me on a daily basis. She is working part time, on time with her college courses and a natural mom.

    Bonus, I get to baby sit EVERYDAY!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have one grandbaby, and another on the way also, so this will be my 3rd. It is very exciting! Thank you so much for the encouragement! :)
      p.s. Jen who?

      Delete
  5. Tammy - what an amazing post! Thank you for sharing your story with us, your thoughts, concerns and support will be an inspiration to many I am sure. As you and I both know, getting pregnant doesn't ruin your life unless you allow it too....if anything it makes you STRONGER! Because Brooke has your support and your love, the road traveled will be less bumpy. If she is anything like her Mother...she will be amazing. (Brooke - I don't know you but I sure know your Mom...everything will be okay and never, ever let anyone tell you that you have made the wrong choice, you have so much love and support surrounding you, even from me!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a previous teen mom, I know that family support is number one!!! It definetly didnt ruin my life, if anything it started a new life for me. That mistake everyone said I made is now a beautiful 7year old little girl!! She is a blessing and Brookes baby will be too! She has an awesome family to support her. Brooke will be an amazing mother! She learned how to be an amazing mother from her own amazing mother. Keep your head up Brooke!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post. It shows your honesty and I love that.

    ReplyDelete

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...