Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Brooke asked me to make homemade chicken noodle soup yesterday.  I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand, so I told her I'd make it today.  She went to the store for me and picked up the necessary items.  It turned out so good I thought I'd share the recipe with you all. 


Chicken Noodle Soup
Adapted from Trisha Yearwood's Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen cookbook


1 box Reduced Sodium chicken broth
4-5 lb. chicken thighs
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large sweet onion
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
2 bay leaves
8 oz. Country Pasta (egg noodles)
3 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 bag baby carrots (or 3 carrots peeled and chopped)


Wash chicken thighs, then place in large stockpot. Pour chicken broth in, then fill the rest of the way with water.  Add garlic, onion, pepper, parsley, and bay leaves.  Bring to boil over high heat, and simmer for 1.5-2 hours or until meat easily comes off the bone.  Remove chicken from pot, placing in large bowl to cool.  Strain the broth into large bowl, and discard onion, bay leaves, etc...

Return broth to pot.  Add noodles, carrots and celery, and bring to a boil.

Meanwhile, when chicken is cool enough,  remove meat from bones.  Discard bones and skin, shredding meat into bite size pieces.  Add chicken to pot with noodles.  Stir.  Cook until pasta and carrots are tender.  Add salt & pepper if desired.  Serve.

Look at the bottom of my page to find a link to Trisha's cookbook.    
      

No comments:

Post a Comment

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...