Thursday, March 15, 2012

"Remember, there are no mistakes, only lessons.  Love yourself, trust your choices, and everything is possible."  Cherie-Carter Scotts

After much thought, and research, I have decided to give Weight Watchers another try.  Before signing up, I told my husband, I'll give it 6 months before I consider surgery.  You see, in the past, I've been a quitter.  I start feeling guilty spending money on a weight loss plan, and then not losing weight like I should.  I don't know how many times I've joined weight watchers, but I quit every time. 

Today was the best day that I could have joined and went to a meeting.

Today, I realized how much I think or talk negatively to myself.  Well, I should have realized it a year ago when I was beating myself up all the time about my weight, and a friend kept telling me to STOP it!  I thought he was just trying to be nice.  I was sure people really thought the same thing about me that I did.

Today, my leader said that Positive Self Talk helps if you

Beat yourself up
Get discouraged by setbacks (boy do ever.. that's why I quit when I don't lose)
Feel overwhelmed
Don't feel supported
Eat because of low self esteem (that's a vicous cycle) 

We act in ways consistent with our deepest internal beliefs.  It's like a self fulfilling prophecy.

I had tears in my eyes as she was talking, when I realized that I struggle with all of those things!  (She was telling me after the meeting how many people she noticed crying this week during that talk.)   

I need to nix the negative self talk!  How?  Well, when it comes to weight loss,
Recognize negative thoughts and counter them
Harness the power of positive thinking
Embrace flexibility
Know you can bounce back when things don't go as planned

Those things can apply to other things in life too!

This time will be different!

This time I will succeed!

If I keep making changes, and create better habits, I will reach my goals!

I'm excited!  I have hope! 

I don't condemn those who have surgery!  I just don't want to quit before I really try!  In the past, I haven't always tried (ie followed plan).  You can't lose weight by just showing up for meetings and not following plan!  Who knew?  haha

I know that even if I had surgery, I would have to make the same kind of changes, so why not now?  I may not lose as fast without surgery, but I will feel better about myself if I don't give up.

Our leader told a story of someone she knew who was very bad about negative thinking.  She said she would have been in Pine Rest if people knew what she was really thinking!  Finally that person decided to try another way, and after just two weeks of thinking positive thoughts, she began to notice a difference in herself.  That person was her!  She is a totally different person today. 

One of my favorite verses is Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

We need to think about good things!  Positive things!  Nowhere in that verse does it say think about what you did wrong!  It doesn't say think about how many times you've messed up and blew it.

God is a God of second chances.  He is a God of forgiveness!  If He can forgive us, who are we to not forgive ourselves?  He does not expect us to be perfect!  So I need to stop expecting perfection of myself!  When I mess up, I don't have to quit.  I can start over right now!  I can look at the big picture, not the little mistakes.

After attending that meeting today, I have decided that failing is not an option! In fact, I'm not going to give myself 6 months!  I am just going to do this.. as long as it takes!  I will have ups and downs, but doing the best I can consistently will pay off in the long run!

I invite you to hold me accountable!  Ask me how I'm doing once in a while, and any encouragement you want to send my way is always welcome!  I need a support group.  :)

What about you?  Are you a positive thinker, or negative?  Did you know that your attitude is contagious?  Your children will pick up on your attitude, whether positive or negative.  Which one do you want them to pick up? 

I'd love to hear what your favorite verses are.  What helps you when you are down, or feeling like a failure?  Post in the comment section below or on my fb page. 

If you haven't become a fan of my facebook page yet (Latte Blessings), go and click like. 
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Latte-Blessings/303803836335198

When I reach 75 fans, I'm going to do a drawing for the book  Every Woman's Marriage

If you're already a fan of my page, send your friends!  The sooner we reach 75, the sooner the drawing.  I will enter everyone who is a fan of my facebook page.  (If you're already a fan, you're in)

Blessings!  

         

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy,
    I'm a new follower of your blog & FB page ~ I SO NEEDED this today!!! I started exercising in addition to my diet last week & got off the wagon for exercising & haven't excercised in 5 days. I NEED a support group too & NEED accountability. One of my favorite verses is Philippians 4:13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

    Thank you for posting ~ I need to lose 50-60 lbs & NEEDED someone to say it's ok to be there for the long haul & nudge me to get back into the positive motivation that I needed.

    I'm in your boat ~ Mary :) <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy,

    I'm so glad you've decided to try again! God is so faithful. He will help you through this.

    When I'm thinking negatively I am always reminded of 2 Corinthians 10:5. "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." Then remembering the truth, which as Mary Hayes (above) remembers for herself, you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you.

    When I start failing and feeling defeated Ephesians 1:18-21 is good. "I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. Especially the part where is says, "his incomparably great power for us who believe." Turn to him when you are feeling weak because his power is made perfect in our weakness (2 Cor. 12:9).

    I'll be praying for you as you begin your journey again.

    Love and blessings,
    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am truly laughing out loud Tammy! I haven't read one of your blog posts since the one about surgery (sorry!) so I thought I'd check out what's going on over here with you. I am cracking up because I had no idea you started WW again, and I went to my very first meeting on Saturday morning! I've never tried WW fully...somebody gave me their old material and I tried it on my own at home, but I never have joined, paid and attended a meeting...until now. :)

    How funny that we are doing the exact same thing!!

    I'm looking for an online buddy to mutually encourage and challenge...could it be you????

    I am the queen of beating myself up. I don't know anyone that does it better than I - but maybe you? haha!

    The verse about "taking every thought captive" comes to mind...don't let those negative thoughts fester and marinate in my mind...

    Love you lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said to check back with you. How have you been doing? Every day is a new day. Thank God for new beginning.

    Blessings,
    April

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay so reading this made me think I wanted to start walking and maybe we could meet at the park to walk. I am SUPER busy for a bit... with the construction on the house.. BUT it takes lots of time to lose weight it don't happen over night so we have time... Let me know what your weekday afternoons look like if you are interested. The only thing is we have to promise ourselves not to go out to eat greasy fatty food afterwards.. been there before... lol

    ReplyDelete

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...