Sunday, March 11, 2012

For some, it may seem simple.  Watch portion sizes, exercise, count calories, count points, eat less, move more, etc... etc....

I've "tried" several things, but without success in losing weight.  Over the past couple of months, I've almost totally quit drinking pop.  Still no change in my weight.  Since lent, I've given up fast food (with exception of a breakfast on the way to a hockey tournament, and a salad and a few fries today).  Still no weight loss.

I've tried weight watchers, but hate trying to figure out points for everything!  I also hate going by myself.

For several years, I've considered surgery, such as the lap band, and am very seriously considering it right now.  I was doing some research last night about it, and here are some things I found out.

You may only eat about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food at any given meal after lap band surgery

You should not drink while eating

"Lap band patients are advised not to consume any of the following: high-fat or dense breads and rolls, dried fruit, coconut, nuts, fried foods of any kind, pasta, popcorn, oranges and grapefruits with the membranes, spicy foods, milk, high-fiber vegetables, and meats with gristle"  (ehow.com)

Doesn't it seem like if I just did those things anyhow that I would lose weight?  I mean if I only ate 1/4-1/2 cup of food at each meal, I'd lose weight without surgery, right?

I wish it was that easy!  I wish I had that much self control.  But what gives a person more self control after surgery?  The fear of vomiting, nausea and abdominal cramping?

Why don't I just start exercising more?  I've tried that in the past, but maybe consistency is my downfall.

Maybe it's our lifestyle.  Maybe it's lack of accountability. 

The thing is, I'm not getting any younger, and I'm definitely not getting any healthier!  Sometimes I feel like I'm a heart attack waiting to happen

What if my Doctor told me that?  Would it make a difference?  Would I make changes then?

I have a 2 year old grandson, and when I have him over, I'm exhausted afterwards.  I have two more grand babies on the way this year.  I'm excited, and can't wait, but can I keep up with 3 of them?

I want to be a Grandma who's fun and who has the grand babies over all the time and takes them to do stuff like go to the zoo, and camping and things like that. 

I want to be around for them!  I want to get to know them and them to know me.  I don't want them to say "my grandma died when I was little, I don't remember her".

I need a plan that works and I need it now.  I need this time to be different!  I need to do this for me!
As much as I want to look better and wear a smaller size, it isn't about all of that.  I want to be healthy!

I looked at the weight watchers magazine in the store a few days ago, and thought maybe I should try again.... but I'll probably fail.  That doesn't work for me.  (negative thinking)

I've been reading the Made to Crave book, and I've learned that I need to turn to God, not food for comfort.  Now I need a plan. 

I know several people who have had success with weight loss surgery.  I admire them!  However, I also know someone who had full gastric bypass and has had several health issues. 
The lap band is safer, although you lose slower.  Your body does not have problems with malabsorption, but there are still some dangers.  Any surgery is a risk.  One of my biggest fears of having surgery is pain afterwards, especially long term. 

I also know several people who have had success in losing weight without surgery.  I admire them too!  But do I have what it takes?  I want to find that determination!  The motivation that makes me get up from my computer to go exercise, motivation to walk instead of driving everywhere.  Determination to make the right choices in what I eat, and to control my portion sizes.  To say NO to the wrong foods.

I feel like if I have surgery, I'm giving up.  I feel like I should be able to do this on my own.  But I haven't been able to.  Surgery would force me to make the changes that I haven't made so far. 
How long will I wait?  Will it be too late?     

Have you had surgery, or do you know someone who has?  What were the results?  What were the side effects?  Was it worth it?

I know I've posted before about this issue, and I apologize if it bores you.  It is something I struggle with, and I'm admitting here that I need help

Please share your thoughts in the comments here.

Have you liked my facebook page yet?  It's the best way to not miss upcoming posts.  Just follow this link and click like.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Latte-Blessings/303803836335198

Have a blessed day!
 

 

7 comments:

  1. Whats wrong with the way you are only heartattack to worry about is from stressing over weight loss live life laugh and have fun best medicine ever and as far as the the kids tiring you out good luck i dont think its gonna matter your weight they have the age advantage on us lol ,lobe ya sis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but seriously, being this overweight makes me a good candidate for a heart attack. Love ya too!

      Delete
  2. Oh Tammy, I feel like I you have been reading my mind! You have written down all my thoughts! I have 3 friends (all sisters) who had Lap-band and they are all healthy, gorgeous, and finally thin after a long struggle with their weight. I haven't asked them about negative side effects or if there are any drawbacks. I just look at their Facebook pictures and drool. :/

    I have ZERO determination. I have ZERO discipline. I have ZERO accountability. I have ZERO consistency.

    big sigh

    I have all the Made to Crave materials sitting right here in my house and I've never cracked the book or watched the DVD. Even if I did, I doubt my ability to actually DO it.

    I need GOD's help, direction and plan.

    another big sigh

    Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your heart Dorie! I'm glad I'm not alone in this struggle, but also wish that none of us had this struggle.

      If you wouldn't mind, maybe you could direct your friends to my post and ask them to share their experience with us. I'd love to hear what they have to say.

      If they would rather not comment here, maybe they could share some information with you, and you could pass it along to me. :)

      Praying God's blessing on your journey as you seek His direction in this matter. :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had many of the same feelings myself...I've thought about surgery also. Seems to me that many people who have the surgery keep ot off for a little while then gain it back, maybe even most of them. It's got to be a lifestyle change. You have to change or no matter what you do the weight won't stay off. I think it's probably healthier the old fashion way. Try to use the grandbabies as motivation, (I'm trying to use that motivation myself), and see if you can get someone to exercise with you. I just used my bonus from work to sign up my husband and daughter at Tamarac with me. They help keep me motivated and going consistently. I haven't exercised this much, this consistently, probably ever! If you are exercising, even if you don't lose a bunch of weight, you will be getting healthier! And don't expect perfection from yourself, work hard and do your best...make small goals and work at them, and keep going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have struggled with my weight ever since our third child was born. I never lost any of that baby weight and instead only added more. I became pregnant again last spring and since I didn't want to deal with Gestational Diabetes I cut out all sugar for the next nine months. I only gained 15 pounds while pregnant and gave birth to a healthy 9 lb 2 oz baby boy. Those fifteen pounds disappeared effortlessly and a few more followed I wanted to keep on avoiding sugar but somehow my will power isn't as strong when I'm not pregnant.

    Several months ago my sis-in-law was ordered to lose 80 pounds in order to have a hernia surgeery she shared her doctor reccomended diet with me to lose at least five pounds per week. I decided to give it a try and in twelve days had lost fifteen pounds. And it's not a starvation type diet. I would have loved to continue the diet until I reach my weight goal but since I'm breastfeeding I discovered I have to wait until the baby is weaned before going on it again. But I'm happy to see hope at the end of my weight clogged tunnel.

    If you would like more info you can email me at: ajoyfulnoise(at)live(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...