Thursday, February 16, 2012

Today, I'd like to share with you one of our favorite recipes.  It comes from allrecipes.com (Geraldine Casey).
Even the picky eaters in my family give this rave reviews! 

I've designated it a Christmas morning breakfast, because you start it the night before and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.  I take it out when I first get up and let it sit while the kids open presents, then bake for 20 minutes.  (If I'm up before them, which is rare on Christmas morning, I could set it out for 30 min. and then bake while they open presents). 

It is DELICIOUS!!!  The aroma of baked peaches, brown sugar, and cinnamon while this is baking is delightful to wake up to!

My family has requested it several times, and although I'd like to make it a special Christmas morning thing, it's too good to have only once a year.  So, I will probably be making it again soon.  It is good served with bacon as a side as well.

I wish I had a picture of mine from Christmas, but I don't, so here is the one from allrecipes.com



Ingredients
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 (29 ounce) can sliced peaches, drained
  • 12 (3/4 inch thick) slices day-old French bread
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • Ground cinnamon

Directions

  1. In a saucepan, bring brown sugar, butter and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish; top with peaches. Arrange bread over peaches.
  2. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla; slowly pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
  3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until the bread is golden brown. Serve with a spoon.  


Makes 6 servings

Enjoy!                




 

1 comment:

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...