Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I have been watching Season 1 of the A&E show Heavy on Netflix, and all I can say is WOW!  If those people can do it, so can I.  Many of them have much more to lose than I do, and many health problems to go along with it. 
 
I often wish I had a "second chance" like they do, to get away, have a chef cook healthy for me, and a trainer push me to exercise like that.  It would be awesome to be able to focus only on getting healthy for 6 months!  Reality is, it's expensive (yes, I looked it up) and I can't afford it.  Another thing is that I tend to be a quitter, and I'd probably cry and want to give up.  I know I'd miss my family like crazy! 

There are exactly 120 days left until school is out!  That means Summer Vacation,  Beaches, Camping, etc...  120 days equals 4 months.  Feels like forever until summer is here, right?  Well, that means we have 120 days to make a change!  Not quite 6 months like they do on the show, but 4 months.

So, what's the plan? 

I've pretty much given up pop, increased fiber, am drinking more water.  Dr. Ski Chilton of the Made to Crave Action plan book recommends increasing fiber to 25g for women, and 35 for men.  I am doing the Made to Crave online Bible study with Melissa Taylor (along with about 9000 other people on facebook).  This book by Lysa TerKeurst is teaching us to satisfy our deepest desire with God, not food. 

Besides that, I haven't decided on a plan yet.  I know that I need to exercise!  I have a few exercise DVDs and I have free access to a gym.  Now I just need motivation to get from here to there!  I enjoy walks with my hubby too, but in the winter, I have to admit,  I'd rather stay in where it's warm.

I've half heartedly tried several things in the past, including weight watchers, Ultra 90, wraps by It Works, etc... 
Any plan is only as good as the person follows it. 

I need something that's going to motivate me to go out in the cold, to choose water instead of pop, carrot sticks instead of chips, and fruit instead of ice cream.
 
My health is an important factor, especially since I've hit the age of 40 now.  I'm sure if I don't make changes, I'm only a short distance away from high blood pressure and cholesterol, or worse a heart attack or stroke, or even diabetes.

Even more motivation is the fact that I've got two more grand babies on the way... this year!  So, with Brody, I will have 3 energetic little blessings ages 2 and under.  I need ENERGY to keep up with them, not to mention the fact that I want to be able to live to see them grow up!  I want to be around to see all of my children graduate and get married and have babies!  While we can't guarantee what will happen in life, we can take care of our health so that we can live a good quality life for as long as possible, until God sees fit to bring us home. 

What about you? 

Have you lost weight, or are you trying to lose weight now?  What plan works for you?  I'd love to hear the changes you've made, how much weight you've lost, etc... 

If you haven't started, but want to, what's holding you back?  Would you like to join me? 

Below this post, you can leave a comment using your name or other options.  Maybe we could start an accountability group here if there's enough interest. 
If you have problems commenting here, you can comment on my facebook page. 

Please consider becoming a follower of Latte Blessings, here and on my Latte Blessings facebook page.  On facebook, all you have to do is click like, and here, just click on Join this site on the right side of the page.  You may need to use a computer, not a mobile phone.

Have a blessed day!      

 



4 comments:

  1. I appreciate this post! I don't struggle with weight, but you can be slim and still unhealthy! Last spring break I discovered the VitaMix machine at a home show in Atlanta, and ever since have looked for a used one (new $450). You can throw in everything but the kitchen sink and it makes a yummy smoothie out of it, among many other things! My patience was rewarded just before Christmas on Craigslist--a smoothie bar went out of business and he had 5 of them @$150. The next day I started making raw food smoothies and they are *amazingly yummy. I have used it at least once a day since mid-December, and every time I fire it up, Christa comes running with her own glass! These are the vitamins and fiber that your body craves, as you said. So that's my health commitment for 2012, but it's no sacrifice at all~ it's a complete pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that reminder Shelley! I'll have to watch for a VitaMix! I still want to try your yummy recipe!

      Delete
  2. Tammy,
    My and my best friend have been working out together. I got Zumba for my Wii and we do it three times a week. We also support each other in choosing the right things to each and being eachothers own personal cheerleader. I have found that it is much easier to stay on any plan when you have a partner. Even though my friend has more weight to lose than me it is a great motivator to me and her that we have each other. So far I have lost 19lbs and 3 inches in my waist, she has lost 22 lbs and 6 inches in her waist. We aren't following anything really specific other than a 1200 calorie diet, lots and lots of water, we both exercise almost 2 hours a day, and no breads or heavy starchy foods. We have doen great and have outfits hung up in our rooms that we want to be able to fit in by May of this year. We have also made dates for our special goals for her its 30 lbs, 60 lbs, and 90 lbs, for me its 20 lbs, 30lbs, and finally my goal weight. But on these mile markers we are doing something special together, something we don't normally do, like for our first goal we are treating ourselves to a day at the spa. It has given us both some extra motivation. I can't wait to post my picture in May of what I look like after 6 months of hard work. I wish you luck in your pursuit and God bless you.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job Cathy! I agree, accountability is key!
      Blessings!

      Delete

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...