Thursday, July 5, 2012

For all of my married life, I've lived on Main Street.  Early in our marriage, we lived in a house my Mother in law owned in a small town with a bar, a post office, and a general store.  We lived on Main Street.  My husband had to drive about 60 miles to work each day.  When I was pregnant with my daughter, we only had one car, and I drove him to work sometimes so that I could use the car to go to Doctor appointments.  In one year, we put 100,000 miles on a brand new car. 

I started selling Real Estate, and we decided that we should move closer to his work, and my office.  So, we bought our first house in a small town about 30 miles closer to hubby's place of work, in the town where I sold Real Estate.  We fell in love with a cute little house on Main Street.


However, growing up, I lived in the country.


They say "you can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl".  I'm starting to believe that's true.  Oh, I was happy with my cute little house on Main Street for a while, but for the last several years, when we go to the county fair, I get that longing to live in the country.  I adore the cute little bunnies, and the cows and horses and pigs. 

I love the smell of hay, and the fresh air in the country.



  To me, these were flowers... not weeds.


A little creek like this is where I began writing


It isn't just the Fair that causes such discontentment though.  Usually when we go to the lake, any lake, but especially Lake Michigan, I wish I lived there. Camping and reading books about the Amish make me long for a more simple life as well.  Visiting my cousin in OK, staying at her farm house, and then the ranch really stirred the dream. 

Why such discontent, why the longing in my soul?  I wish that I was a more content person.  But this is who I am.  I'm a dreamer, and to me, nature is beauty.  It refreshes me!  I treasure the memories that I have, and want to recreate them.  I often want things to be different, slower paced, have less clutter in my life, more meaningful family time, and for my kids to have the experiences that I had growing up in the country.   

I think that things would be different, my children would be different, and I would be different.  Better somehow.  Call me an Idealist!  I am.  :)

There are benefits to living in town.  Convenience for one!  That's why we've stayed where we are.  We live in a great community, with a great church, and it's been a great place to raise our children.  Will we stay here forever?  Who knows?  We have dreams of moving to Ludington, or just somewhere out in the country.  If we do, then will it feel like home when our children come and visit?  (there's that memories thing again)

For now, I'll be content in the season I am in, where God has put me.  When discontentment rears its ugly head, and it will, I'll try to remember that. 
1 Timothy 6:6  "But godliness with contentment is great gain." 

Meanwhile, enjoy the pictures I've taken recently on my drive in the countryside of my little town. 
Blessings!
 























   

7 comments:

  1. Wow. Me too. To all of it. lol I am a country stuck in the city because I married a city boy. I love my man but sometimes my heart just starts to ache to see what God has made and not all this cursed pavement!!!

    Thanks for posting! I love the pictures!

    Blessings,
    April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April
      I hope that you can create a haven where you are, and that maybe someday, God will bless you with a home in the country. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Tammy! Just found your blog, so cute! I live in the city but I am so much a country girl. :) Lovely post and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenifer, and welcome to my blog. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, this touched my heart! I grew up in the city, but my father worked with my grandfather on a farm so I spent a lot of time in the country. My husband and I spent two years living in the country, only to have to move back to the city. My heart has ached in a way I didn't think others could even begin to understand! You put it perfectly here in this post though. My husband and I are getting ready to move for the last time for awhile. We found a place on 2/3 of an acre, surrounded by trees so you can see neighbors! It's in a very rural community and I can have my chickens and hopefully some other critters eventually. This was a great post, thank you so much for sharing...I could have probably wrote it myself!

    Monica @ theatypicalhousewife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica, I'm glad we can relate. Most often when we share our hearts, we find out we're not alone in how we feel about many things in life. :)
      I'm so glad you found a place to move to where you will be able to live your dream. Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Tammy, We live on the outskirts of town and the river is behind us. so we sort of have country and yet live close to the city. I know what you mean. I still kind of wish we were in a more remote area. I miss farm animals and such from growing up. I would love my children to watch babies being born or bottle feed newborn puppies and such. I love those pics.

    ReplyDelete

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...